What is Garlic Confit?
What in the world does confit mean? It’s a term used when you cook anything slowly, over a long period. Garlic confit is cloves of garlic cooked slowly in olive oil and herbs/spices which gives the garlic a richer flavor. This garlic confit recipe will enhance the tastiness of your favorite meals and make your house smell incredible.
Garlic Confit Recipe Ingredients
1 ½ cups Garlic Cloves, peeled (about 5 heads of garlic)
1 ¾ cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
How to Make Garlic Confit
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Place the peeled garlic cloves in a small, oven-safe pot or pan.
Step 3: Add the olive oil to the pan with the garlic, and then add the rosemary and fresh thyme.
Step 4: Place the pan in the oven and roast the garlic for 2 hours until the garlic cloves are brown and the olive oil is lightly bubbling.
Step 5: Remove the rosemary and thyme from the pan, and store the garlic in an airtight container. Enjoy!
How to Use Garlic Confit
- You can use garlic confit for a spread on any bread, in pasta, with mashed potatoes, on sandwiches, etc. You can use the oil from the garlic confit as a cooking base for meats, veggies, or garlic bread.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Garlic Confit vs Roasted Garlic
- Garlic confit has a sweeter flavor and, because it’s cooked slowly in oil, has the bonus of a garlic-flavored oil that you can use for garlic bread or as a cooking oil. Roasted garlic caramelizes as it roasts in the oven creating a mild, sweet flavor. Roasted garlic is great as a spread for your favorite bread, an addition to soup, or to eat raw.
Is Garlic Confit Safe?
- Garlic is a food that, if not stored correctly, can cause botulism. When garlic confit is stored correctly (refrigerated immediately in an airtight container and covered properly) it is completely safe. After preparing this garlic confit recipe, ensure to refrigerate it and throw it out if you don’t use it within 5 days.
How Long Does Garlic Confit Last?
- Garlic confit will stay good in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can Garlic Confit Be Frozen?
- You can freeze garlic confit for up to 2 months in an airtight container or jar.
Want to make more delicious garlic recipes?
Pickling garlic enhances garlic's flavor and extends its shelf life. Learn how to pickle garlic here!
Roasting garlic in the oven is one of my favorite ways to incorporate garlic into my soup, salad, as a spread for toast or sandwiches, or just plain; straight out of the oven! It truly is so delicious you can add it to any of your favorite dishes.
Homemade garlic paste is simply blended garlic and oil made in a blender or food processor. I love making garlic paste at the beginning of a busy week to keep in the fridge so that when I need it, it’s ready to use in my favorite recipes.
Garlic Confit Recipe
- 1 ½ cups garlic cloves, peeled (about 5 heads of garlic)
- 1 ¾ cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring fresh rosemary
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the peeled garlic cloves in a small, oven-safe pot or pan.
- Add the olive oil into the pan with the garlic, and then add the rosemary and fresh thyme.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast the garlic for 2 hours until the garlic cloves are brown and the olive oil is lightly bubbling.
- Remove the rosemary and thyme from the pan, and store the garlic in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- You can reserve the extra olive oil from the pan and use in recipes as garlic-infused olive oil.
- You can buy pre-peeled garlic cloves in the produce aisle of the grocery store if you don’t want to peel fresh garlic by hand.
- You can use your garlic confit as spread for bread, in pasta, with mashed potatoes, on sandwiches, etc.
- The garlic confit will stay good in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Leave a Reply