I love fruit and I love candy so combining the two is a huge yes from me! This tanghulu (candied fruit) recipe is one of my favorite things to make; it’s easy and fun, and as an added bonus - the candied fruit on a bamboo skewer is such a pretty sight. You’re going to LOVE this recipe.
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 lb strawberries
How to Make Tanghulu Fruit
Step 1: Wash the strawberries thoroughly, then dry them very thoroughly. The recipe will not work if the strawberries are wet, so make sure that they are dry before you continue.
Step 2: Cut the tops off of the strawberries. Skewer each strawberry on a wooden skewer. You can choose to put 1 strawberry on a skewer or stack 3 onto one skewer!
Step 3: Once the strawberries are prepared, set them aside. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set that aside too.
Step 4: In a medium pot, add the granulated sugar and the water. Stir to combine. Then heat over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar mixture begins to boil and reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 5: Once the sugar reaches temperature, quickly dip the strawberries in the sugar, making sure that the entire strawberry is covered. Set them on the parchment paper. The sugar should harden almost immediately. (You can spoon the sugar over the skewers with stacked fruit if that is easier.)
Step 6: Once cooled, enjoy!
Best Fruits for Tanghulu
- You can dip any type of fruit in the sugar mixture. I tried clementines, but grapes or blueberries would also be delicious.
Where does tanghulu originate from?
- Tanghulu fruit originated in China and is also called bingtang hulu. The main difference it has from other candied fruits is that it is coated in a hardened sugar syrup, which makes the candy shell hard and glossy.
What should I serve with tanghulu?
- Drop a piece of this candied fruit in sparkling or flat water for a delicious flavor. or in You an also arrange tanghulu among other treats next time you put together a charcuterie board.
How long should I wait to let the sugar harden?
- The sugar should harder immediately.
How do I store tanghulu fruit?
- This recipe is meant to be eaten right away. You can store leftovers but they get kind of messy and don’t taste as good!
Want more delicious fruit recipes?
- Your Turkey Day isn't complete without a traditional fruity dish of some sort, and this One Bowl Thanksgiving Fruit Salad Recipe is a wonderfully simple and tasty dish you must make.
- Score major brownie points with the clean eaters and gluten intolerant people in your life by making these Gluten Free Brownie Fruit Kebabs!