You know what I've been saying all week? Lattice all rejoice that it's apple pie season! Luckily, I have the perfect apple pie recipe to share.
Don't Make This Rookie Mistake When Making this Apple Pie Recipe
Here's the thing about apple pie—it's quite simple, but can be tricky at first. There are some rookie mistakes you will probably make, namely not slicing the apples thin enough. Or over-handling the pie dough, resulting in a tough crust. The key to a perfect apple pie is a flaky crust and a sweet, gooey inside. You master that, and you've made it in life.
Make sure you peel your apples. I simply left the peel on for a pop of color because I'm ridiculous and wanted the picture to look pretty. I mean, you can leave the peel on if you really love it that much, but I highly recommend skinning those apples. You don't want to fuss with cutting peel when it's time to devour a warm slice. Trust me.
Back to the pie dough. When mixing the butter and shortening with the flour, you must absolutely make sure it is not processed into meal, hence the reason why "pea-sized" butter and shortening is so important. It's those large bits of fat that turn into glorious pockets of hot air, therefore making a beautiful and tender crust. On this you must also really trust me. I know from extended experience, since I've failed many times.
Also, I feel like I should add that you can add an egg wash to your pie crust before baking it to give it that shiny, golden appearance. Simply whisk one egg and a splash of water in a small bowl until it's pale yellow. Use a pastry brush to lightly brush it on before placing in the oven.
If you feel like getting SUPER fancy with the lattice crust, add some leaves or flowers like I did in this apple pie photo at the top! I used these leaf cutouts I found on Amazon. Click here to order them. They are life-changing for your pie game.
Alright, my friends. You are well-equipped to make a gorgeous apple pie. Grab my perfect apple pie recipe below and enjoy!
The Perfect Apple Pie Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ sticks salted butter cold and cubed
- ¼ cup shortening cold
- ½ cup ice water
- Add flour, sugar, butter, and shortening to a food processor. Pulse about 15 times until the butter and shortening are pea-sized. Pour in the ice cold water and pulse until the dough just barely pulls from the sides and forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into two even balls. Wrap in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to firm. (Be sure not to over-mix or over-handle the dough.)
- In a large pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Mix together the sugars, spices, and orange juice with a whisk. Slowly whisk in the flour, to thicken the filling mixture. Peel and slice apples, about ¼" thickness, then add to the pan. Mix well until apples are coated in mixture and let it simmer about 10 minutes, until caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove pie dough from the refrigerator. Place the first ball on a well-floured surface and flatten into a round disc. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a large circle that will overlap in a pie pan. Gently pick up and place the dough in the dish, using the tips of your fingers to mold it into the sides. Trim any overlapping dough so it's about ½" beyond the edge of the pan. Line up or mound the apple filling into the dish. Roll out the second dough ball. For an easy pie crust, place the dough on top and fold the top layer of dough under the edge of the bottom layer. Pinch both layers together to seal the edges. Make three to five small slits so the pie can ventilate. For a fancier crust, try this lattice crust technique. (Again, try not to over-handle the dough—it's the key to a flaky, crumbly crust.) Add an egg wash if desired.
- Cover the edges with foil and bake on 375°F for 25 minutes. Remove the foil then bake for another 20 minutes until the pie is crisp and golden, and the filling is bubbling. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes, then serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
If you like this apple pie recipe, try this pumpkin pie cake one, too!
<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=qf_sp_asin_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=thebuthal-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B017Z802RK&asins=B017Z802RK&linkId=80a4c46606fd3509c9a30cdb0e25559b&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=true&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff">