If you are looking for the perfect holiday frosting recipe, THIS IS IT! I randomly whipped up this pink peppermint buttercream frosting on a whim while trying to figure out what toppings my chocolate cupcakes needed. It was a recipe worth keeping AND sharing.
I used to belong to the canned frosting camp, but have since changed teams. Homemade icing is where it's at! (If you are comfortable with dumping half a bag of confectioner's sugar in your mixing bowl and becoming consciously aware of just how much sugar you are consuming.) It's fluffy, airy and pure heaven—I have no shame in admitting I'm whipped. 😉
Pink Peppermint Buttercream Frosting is the perfect pairing for chocolate cupcakes
The other great thing about homemade buttercream frosting is that it's easy to ice cakes and baked goods. It holds its shape better. For these chocolate cupcakes I used my star tip and attached it with a coupler in the end of a ziploc bag. The dotted stars give it some whimsy–they remind me of the marzipan costumes in The Nutcracker ballet, and that's about as festive as it gets.
Jazz up your sugar cookies and cakes this year with this peppermint buttercream frosting! It is udderly delicious. Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
Pink Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened 2 sticks
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops red food dye
- Mix softened butter with an electric mixer or stand mixer on a medium setting and cream the butter until it is smooth and has lightened in color, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, ½ a cup at a time. After each cup has been thoroughly mixed, turn the mixer onto the highest speed setting for about 10 seconds to lighten the frosting. Mix in vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Add the heavy cream, peppermint extract, and food dye and mix well. Now frost yourselves! (Name that movie.)