My husband's tradition of baking cookies throughout the Christmas season is
probably definitely my favorite. A) I don't have to do anything and B) The man knows his way around a batch of cookie dough. He keeps his recipes on a wrinkled packet of paper, which is now splattered with butter grease and bits of dough after years of slaving away in the kitchen. It's cute—endearing, even. Maybe one day I will have the packet framed in a shadow box and mounted on the wall for posterity's sake.
The first batch of the season was these peanut butter and chocolate cookies. It is my mother-in-law's recipe and anything she makes is THE BOMB. Naturally, these cookies are THE BOMB. (Dot com.) I would also like to mention that you will go cookie over them. (Get it? Kooky? Am I reaching here?)
These Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies must be on your holiday baking list
They are quick and easy to whip together, as are 90% of the recipes on here, because that's just how we roll. And quick and easy is also important when you are on pace to hit your cookie goal of 180—that's 15 dozen cookies, in case you were wondering.
Should you be wondering about which goodies to make for the holidays, add these to your list. I will be posting the rest of our standard cookie lineup in the coming weeks, if you are looking for the ultimate Christmas cookie guide. Stay tuned, my fellow sugar-addicts. Santa says 'tis the season to be a glutton (takes one to know one, amirite?) so bear with me while every single post this month is strictly dessert. Maybe I will throw in a salad to save face (and my waistline), but I make no promises.
Grab the recipe for the peanut butter and chocolate cookies below. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter And Chocolate Cookies
For the cookie dough:
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¾ cups butter
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup white sugar for dipping
For the chocolate:
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat sugar, peanut butter, and butter until fluffy. Blend in water, egg and vanilla. Next, add dry ingredients and mix well. Shape the cookie dough into 1" balls. Place them on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, boil a small saucepan of water. Sit a heat-safe glass bowl on top of the saucepan and melt the chocolate and shortening together. Stir constantly until smooth.
- Remove cookies from oven and top each with ½ teaspoon of chocolate. Allow them to cool and set for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!