If you’re in need of a heart and warming meal, especially during the cold winter months, make this Instant Pot vegetable soup with sweet potatoes and lentils. Because we all need healthy comfort food!
You Must Make This Instant Pot Vegetable Soup ASAP!
Many soup recipes call for flour and tons of meat, but I am in the mood for more hearty, plant-based recipes lately. This one is thick and filling, because lentils are a fabulous source of plant protein. We’re talking 9 grams of protein per cup! And in case you aren’t obsessed with the ins and outs of nutrition (it’s okay, I wasn’t into that kind of thing until last year), protein is what keeps you full. (Yes, that’s why you are still starving after eating an entire bag of chips.)
Translation: if you want to feel more satisfied after meals, eat foods that are high in protein. And you don’t need to be afraid of carbs—whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are key. That really is the magic secret. You’re welcome.
The Secret Ingredient for Flavorful and Hearty Vegan Soup!
Drum roll, please…
Sweet potatoes and quality tomato sauce! Yes, friends. It really is that simple. I recommend this sauce for this Instant Pot vegetable soup. It’s an easy way to use those canned jars in your pantry. Who knew they aren’t just for spaghetti? 😉
Tips for maximizing flavor when cooking in an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot has a great saute function on it where you can brown your onions and garlic to release the flavor. That’s my number one tip for getting highly flavorful soup without having to simmer it for hours. I know that’s a big complaint for a lot of people who aren’t keen on using the pressure cooker, but I promise, it makes a big difference! Don’t skimp on getting those bits nice and brown.
To do so, simply press the “Saute” button, and cook your onions in avocado oil. This is the main cooking oil I use because it is a great source of healthy fat for cell health, it’s light, and holds high heat well.
Are you ready to dive into this recipe? It only takes 12 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot and you only have one pot to clean! That’s called winning at life.
Click the video below to see how to make this Instant Pot vegetable soup in action!
One more thing! If you are wanting more Instant Pot recipes, or need to learn more about how to use your pressure cooker, sign up for my Instant Pot class that teaches you how to confidently and efficiently use your Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Lentils (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3-4 small sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 16 oz tomato sauce (1 jar)
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup uncooked lentil beans
- 2 cups frozen vegetable blend peas, carrots, corn, beans
- 1 cup fresh spinach optional
- Press "Saute" button on Instant Pot. Add avocado oil. Pour in onions and sweet potatoes. Cook 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Press "Keep Warm/Cancel" button, and stir in salt, pepper, and basil. Pour in vegetable stock, tomato sauce, wine, lentil beans, and frozen veggies.
- Lock lid, flip the valve to "Sealing" and set to for 12 minutes on "Manual" high pressure.
- When finished and Instant Pot beeps, flip valve to "Venting" and let steam quick release.
- Allow soup to rest for 2-3 minutes. Stir in fresh spinach if desired. Serve while warm with favorite toppings or bread. Enjoy!
More Instant Pot recipes here!