Raise your hand if you need a nourishing and warming bowl of soup to snuggle up with. Say hello to this creamy carrot soup with ginger and coconut milk. It's vegan and gluten free, so it can be served to everyone, but it still maintains a rich and smooth flavor and texture.
Items needed to make creamy carrot soup
- Olive oil or avocado oil (I've been using avocado oil lately)
- Carrots (obvs)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh orange juice
- Coconut milk
- Immersion blender or high-speed blender
Does it matter which kind of carrots I use?
Nope! I use baby carrots, because we keep them on hand for snacking and lunch. However, whole carrots would work well too, and you can keep the peel on. Fun fact: most veggies and fruits contain a large majority of their nutrients within their peel. (That's why I keep the peel on my homemade applesauce sometimes!)
How to make vegan soup creamy and smooth
It's all about the blender! The nice thing about this recipe is that the ingredients soften quickly and easily. However, using a good immersion blender makes it a fast and easy process, without making a big mess. I prefer this one. It has multiple attachments for easy use!
Before I owned an immersion though, I simply used my Vitamix to blend it together.
If you do use your blender and it's plastic, make sure you let the soup cool before transferring.
Health benefits of creamy carrot soup with ginger and coconut milk
I like to make this when I'm feeling sick and need some immune system support.
- Carrots are high in beta carotene , Vitamin K, fiber, potassium, and antioxidants.
- Ginger is essential for this recipe. It has a warming affect on the body, and is shown to support digestive health and immune support.
- Fresh lemon and orange juice ramp up the antioxidant and Vitamin C levels to nourish the body.
- Onions and garlic are your best friend if you're sick. These support the body because of their anti-microbial properties, and give the soup depth and flavor.
- Coconut milk is a good fat to support healthy cells, plus it's the secret ingredient to make it extra creamy.
Want to hear a carrot joke?
Do you know how to make gold soup? You put 24 carrots in it! (Cue slow claps.)
But seriously, this soup is healthy and awesome. It is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly! (What am I missing here? Is it Keto approved too?) But that doesn't matter, because everyone who has eaten it gobbles it down. Kid-approved too!
I like eating this as a light lunch, and it would also be a great soup to serve in a full-course meal. The texture is rich and creamy without being too filling.
Need more soup recipes? I've got you!
Grab this recipe below and enjoy eating this nourishing and delicious creamy carrot soup!
Creamy Carrot Soup with Ginger + Coconut Milk (Vegan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ sweet onion chopped
- 4 cups carrots chopped (approx. 6 carrots)
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tablespoon orange zest
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- Fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste
- Chives or green onions to garnish
- Heat the olive oil (or avocado oil if you prefer) in a large pot. Add in the chopped onion and sauté until barely translucent.
- Next, add in the carrots, ginger, garlic, orange zest, broth, orange juice and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once it is at a rolling boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the puree back into the pot and add the coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste. Serve it up in your cute soup bowls and dig in!