This sweet and easy Instant Pot chili with chicken and beans came about as a result of running low on groceries. (Budgets, man! End of the month with an empty refrigerator, man!) Perhaps I have a future on an episode of Chopped, because I was plum surprised with the tastiness of this recipe! It’s the ultimate comfort food dinner.
The Secret Ingredient for Deliciously Easy Instant Pot Chili
Tomato sauce! And coconut sugar. Yes, I know we are accustomed to throwing brown sugar in everything. However, coconut sugar is ridiculously good in chili. It’s a healthier alternative if you’re into non-refined sugars. Also, I happened to have a bottle of Jar Goods tomato sauce, and their Classic Vodka gives this chili extra depth. If you don’t have any of this one hand, make sure to throw in some white cooking wine! It’s essential. Purchase it in the vinegar aisle at the grocery store. (Or here if you’re lazy like me and can’t be bothered with things like putting on pants.)
Did you know your Instant Pot works as a slow cooker?
Yes, it’s true. Throw away your dumpy old slow cooker from a decade ago. It’s taking up precious cabinet space, anyway! Your Instant Pot is everything you need and more. I personally have the 6 quart 7-in-1 Instant Pot, however they have more fancy and less shnazzy versions. Also, I am working on an Instant Pot buying guide since I get so many questions on Instagram stories about it. It will be up on the blog tomorrow, just in time to buy on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
But, let’s get back to the slow cooker talk! I like to make my chili on the slow cooker setting in my pressure cooker to let the flavors develop. You literally press the “Slow Cooker” button and walk away. It’s awesome.
What about if you’ve procrastinated dinner, and only have 20 minutes to whip something together? This chili can be made in 10 minutes. (I also recommend this one-pot Instant pot creamy chicken and pasta.) You will dump everything thing, but instead of hitting the slow cooker option, set your Instant Pot to “Manual” on high for 8 minutes. Boom! (Although, we want to avoid “booms” when it comes to cooking with a pressure cooker. It’s my biggest fear that I’m going to have the flukey one that explodes! ???? )
This sweet and easy Instant pot chili with chicken and beans makes a great appetizer option for Thanksgiving dinner, and you can even swap out the chicken with your leftover turkey.
One more thing! If you are wanting more Instant Pot recipes, or need to learn more about how to use your pressure cooker, sign up for my Instant Pot Palooza emails! I am releasing an Instant Pot course that will be full of video guides, meal plan printables, a recipe ebook, and more. Sign up here to get a discount when it launches and extra email freebies.
Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
Sweet and Easy Instant Pot Chili with Chicken and Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 large chicken breasts substitute with sweet potatoes for plant-based option
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Press the "Saute" button on Instant Pot and allow it to heat for a few minutes. Pour olive oil and onions into pan and cook until softened. Add in chicken breasts and brown on each side. Press the "Cancel" button to turn off.
- Pour in stock, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, wine, coconut sugar, and spices. Mix well.
- Lock on lid, flip the steam release valve to "Sealing" and press "Slow Cooker" button. To cook quickly, press "Manual" on high, and set to 8 minutes. Quick release by flipping valve to "Venting" once it is done. (I like to put a dish towel over the valve when it releases.) Shred chicken with two forks as needed. The chili will be somewhat liquid. To thicken, press the "Saute" button again, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This will help reduce the liquid.
- Serve while warm with cheese and sour cream, or desired toppings. Enjoy!