News alert! This apple crisp with buttermilk caramel sauce is the equivalent of eating a caramel apple, but without the sticky mess and candy stuck in your teeth for three days after following. If that’s not a win, I don’t know what is.
I promise you this is THE best apple crisp recipe in the world. It has an extra something to it—a certain je ne sais quoi, if you will. Do you want to know what it is? Fine, I will tell you, but only if you send me a piece of this crisp when you make it. Deal? The secret is the buttermilk caramel sauce! It’s divinity in a jar, send straight from the autumn goddesses. I don’t mean to get carameled away here, but I think it deserves some sort of award. Maybe even a presidential nomination.
Apple Crisp with Buttermilk Caramel Sauce is perfect after your trip to the orchard
I know you have 27 bags of apples from your apple picking adventures this weekend. They are just sitting on your pantry floor staring at you, and you are glaring back and wondering What should I do with all of these apples?! APPLE CRISP. Boom. I’ve just solved all of the autumn world’s problems. Looks like I’m up for a nomination next. I will enact a law where you receive a pie with your tax refund (with gluten-free and vegan options, of course). That’s it, I’m making buttons. THE BUTTER HALF 2016!
Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
Apple Crisp With Buttermilk Caramel Sauce
Buttermilk Caramel Sauce:
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, refrigerated
- 3 Honeycrisp apples sliced
- 1/2 whole lemon
- 1/4 cup buttermilk caramel sauce
- Combine the buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda in a large pot. Stir it all together and br
- ng to a boil. Once it is bubbling, turn down heat to medium low so it is lightly simmering. Stir constantly for 7-8 minutes until the liquid becomes a thick, rich, golden color. Stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool, and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugars, spices, oats and salt using a fork. Remove the butter from the refrigerator and cut it into 1/2 inch pieces. Gradually add them in, using a fork until it is mixed well and the texture is small and crumbly.
- Slice Honeycrisp apples to about 1/4 inch thickness and place in a medium bowl. Add the zest from the lemon half. Squeeze in its juice and stir it in with the zest. Add 1/4 cup buttermilk caramel sauce, and mix well.
- Pour the Honeycrisp apple mixture into an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish, and cover evenly with the crumb topping. Cover it with foil and bake on 350°F for 15 minutes. Uncover it and bake for another 20 minutes until the top is brown and crisp. Feel free to broil it for a couple of minutes at the end to give it an exceptionally crisp texture, if so desired. Serve while warm with a hefty drizzle of the buttermilk caramel sauce. Enjoy!