I know I have a good thing going when there is an emoji AND a Gwen Stefani song about it... Let's hear it for the world's best banana bread recipe! This shiz is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S! This shiz is also the most moist, most chewy, most tasty banana bread you will ever eat. It is one of my mom's famous recipes, and that woman knows her way around a good loaf of bread.
Remember how I told you it's baking week? (Grab the recipe for my homemade rosemary french bread here if you are in the baking spirit!) I figure this is a fabulous recipe to have since it is warm outside, meaning you more than likely have some old, brown nanners lying around. The answer is ALWAYS banana bread.
How do I know this is THE best banana bread recipe?
I am almost certain this banana bread recipe has superpowers. It is practically a thing of legend in the community I grew up in. Really. Just ask anyone at our church about Marie's banana bread and you will get a response that sounds somethings like, "OHMYGOSHSOGOOD!" (By the way, Marie is my mom, and she is AWESOME.)
Did I mention this magical bread is incredibly easy to make? Like, the only skills (or lack thereof) you need are the ability to measure, mix and turn on an oven. That means you too can be a master of banana bread and potential local legend!
I totally convinced you, didn't I? You're welcome. Oh, and for the record, I've had multiple people make this recipe and they all have the same reaction. It sounds like this, "Mmm. MMM. Ohmygoshthisissogoodgivemethewholeloaf!" Verbatim.
Grab the recipe below!
A Banana Bread Recipe To Go Bananas For
- 6-8 ripe bananas mashed (the more ugly and brown the banana, the sweeter the bread)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour gluten-free (see tip in notes below)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend all the wet ingredients and sugar with a stand mixer or electric mixer. Once they are thoroughly blended and smooth, add the rest of the ingredients until well mixed.
- Pour into 4 greased and floured 7 ½x 3 ½ inch loaf pans. Bake at 325°F for one hour. Enjoy!
- Original recipe calls for 4 cups all-purpose flour. If making this gluten-free, use only 3 cups.
- Yields four 7-inch loaves
- Extra brown bananas - the browner and uglier = sweeter results!
- Do you have a brown banana or two laying around but not enough to make the recipe? If so, you can peel them and toss them in a ziploc bag and place them in the freezer! Rather than slicing my bananas, I prefer to put them in the bag whole or cut in half. It makes it easy to tell how many frozen bananas I have on hand instead of trying to guess.
- If using frozen bananas, be sure bananas are thawed all the way before mashing.
- Try adding chocolate chips, chopped nuts or dried fruit to the batter if you're wanting to to experiment with different variations.