There are a melon reasons why this watermelon boba slushie is the most refreshing drink to sip on a warm day. But the best is the chewy boba. It adds some extra flair and texture to an otherwise boring slushie.
My teenage years were rife with nights spent at the local boba tea shop. I always loved trying all the fruity flavor combinations. However, now that I'm old and wise in my late 20s (ha!), I've decided to change things up by putting boba in all sorts of drinks. It's a wild diversion, I tell you! Clutch those tapioca pearls!
Watermelon Boba Slushie has lots of fun texture
Slushies are where it's at. You can make various types by switching the fruits, but I like the juicy sweetness of watermelon. It feels like summer. It's basically screaming, "Summer, I'm ready when you are!" Also, I just bought this watermelon dress and wore it while making this watermelon boba slushie. Clearly it was the only appropriate thing to do!
What exactly IS boba?
One more thing before I hand over the recipe... Make sure you get premium quality tapioca pearls! The cheap ones are chalky and don't cook well. I found mine at a Korean market in our neighborhood but you can buy them here on Amazon too.
This watermelon boba slushie is so light and tasty, you'll hardly be able to stop from gulping it down! Grab the recipe below. Enjoy!
Like this recipe? Try this one, too!
Watermelon Boba Slushie
- ¼ cup black tapioca pearls boba
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 cups watermelon sliced
- 1 cup ice
- ¼ cup coconut water
- ¼ cup raw coconut sugar optional
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add tapioca pearls to the water and boil until they float. Reduce heat to medium and let them cook for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring. Cover saucepan and reduce heat to low, letting the tapioca pearls simmer for another 25 minutes.
- Once tapioca pearls (boba) are done, drain them and rinse in cold water 2-3 times. Pour the drained boba into a bowl and stir in the honey to retain their moisture.
- While the boba cools, make the slushie. Put the watermelon, ice, coconut water, and coconut sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Spoon 2 tablespoons of boba into the bottom of a glass, and pour the watermelon slushie on top. Use wide boba straws and serve immediately while cold. Enjoy!