It's my personal opinion that Valentine's Day is the best holiday for dessert. Pink and red are two of the loveliest color combinations. Add those colors to a dessert, and things are looking good. Make that dessert a Valentine's Day mini berry trifle, and you've reached dessert perfection.
Did you know this Valentine's Day mini berry trifle is made in just 15 minutes?
Yes! All four of them! Thanks to the wonders of instant pudding, premade angel food cake, and heart-shaped cookie cutters.
My boys loved helping assemble the mini berry trifle. They cut out heart shapes, and layered in the ingredients. I think it's important to make opportunities available for little ones to get involved in the kitchen. Especially during holidays. Those are some of my most cherished memories of childhood.
You know what's another great cake to use in trifle? Leftover cake tops! If you make your own homemade cakes, you know that after leveling everything off, a large portion of the cake goes to waste. I like to wrap mine up in plastic wrap and freeze them, then use them for trifle. We've made multiple servings of this mini berry trifle with the leftover cake tops from my chocolate covered strawberry birthday cake. Waste not, want not.
Promise me you'll tri(fle) making these Valentine's Day mini berry trifle! They're a dessert the whole family will love. Watch the video below for a visual (and to learn how to cut those cute strawberry hearts). Then grab the easy recipe below, and enjoy!
Valentine’s Day Mini Berry Trifle
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk for two minutes until thickened. Add in a pea-sized drop of pink gel food dye, and mix until well-combined. Set aside in refrigerator to chill.
- Cut premade angel food cake (I get mine at the local grocery store bakery) into three layers, about 1 ½ inch thick. Use a small heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes, using up the entire cake.
- Cut strawberries into hearts. This is done by pinching off the leaves and making a v-shape cut at the top near the stem. Cut strawberries in halves to reveal their heart shape.
- Assemble the mini trifles in small dessert glasses. Place a layer of strawberries at the bottom. Add a layer of pudding and cake. Add another layer of pudding on top of the cake, and finish off by topping with strawberry hearts. Repeat this step in all the dishes.
- Share with your Valentine for a delicious, festive dessert. Enjoy!