Last week I made some incredibly indulgent breakfast muffins almost by accident. I was in the mood for chocolate cake (pregnancy problems at 7 am), but wanted something more nutritious and not full of sugar. Then these healthy chocolate banana flax muffins were born! And I made them in my blender! In under 10 minutes!
You Have to Try These Chocolate Banana Flax Muffins in a Blender
Why I haven’t been making things in my blender until lately is beyond me. The mess is much less, and it’s simply waaayyy more convenient. If you’re in the market for a high-quality blender and have yet to bite the bullet, I recommend getting a Vitamix. (And no, I am not being paid to say that.) I have the Vitamix Ascent A2500, and it’s awesome.
Now, muffins can be a bit tricky. If you over mix them, they are tough. And if you over bake them even in the slightest, they can be too dry. Make sure you are paying careful attention to how much you pulse them and babysit them while they bake in the oven. My oven takes about 14-15 minutes to bake these chocolate banana flax muffins, but yours might take 12-14 minutes. You want a toothpick to barely come clean. Note that they will continue to set up and bake for a couple minutes after you pull them from the oven, too.
I realize these muffins look extremely decadent and rich. And full of evil sugar and fatty ingredients. But they are refined sugar-free and include wholesome ingredients! Can you even believe it? I still can’t! Also, if you’re in the market for some yummy, refined sugar-free chocolate chips, I use these.
Now, quit muffin around and go make these for breakfast for the week. Grab the recipe below and enjoy.
Make These Healthy Chocolate Banana Flax Muffins in a Blender
- 1 1/2 cups white or whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup refined-sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flax, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Pour milk, yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, bananas, and vanilla into a blender. Blend on high speed for 1 minute until ingredients are well mixed and fluffy. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Pulse 7-8 times until mix comes together. (Make sure not to overmix, or muffins will be tough.) Add in the chocolate chips.
- Line 18 muffin tins with baking cups. Pour the batter 3/4 full into each liner. Top with 4-5 chocolate chips in each. Bake on 350°F for 14-15 minutes, or until toothpick barely comes clean. (Take note that you do not want to over bake the muffins. Check them after 10 minutes. They may be done baking around 12 minutes, depending on the oven.)
- Serve for an indulgent, yet healthy breakfast. Enjoy!