Smoothie bowls are all the rage right now, and I had to jump on the bandwagon with this dragon fruit smoothie bowl. I mostly blame it on the dragon fruit. I was minding my own business checking the ripeness of a few harmless avocados, when out of the corner of my eye appeared a bright pink, spiky lookin’ fruit.
Could this be? Is it really DRAGON FRUIT?
Sure enough. Then SMOOTHIE BOWL! was the next thing to pop into my mind, and the rest is history.
By the way, if Mr. T were a fruit, he would totally be a dragon fruit… “I pitaya the fool!” (I know I already shared this on Instagram, but I am one of those jerks who laughs at their own jokes and gives themselves gold stars for being clever—it took me a solid 15 minutes to come up with that one! Don’t tell me if it’s been done before, I want to take all the credit for my brilliant food joke skills.)
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl is a great way to try something new
I made these smoothie bowls for dessert the other night, but I am going to be eating them mostly for breakfast. They are incredibly sweet, juicy, and vegan and gluten-free, depending on the granola that is used. I use this healthy homemade granola, and you should too if you are looking for one with low amounts of sugar, but still sweet and tasty.
Grab the recipe for this dragon fruit smoothie bowl below! Happy nomming!
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
For the smoothie:
- 1 dragon fruit pitaya
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1 tablespoon lemon water
For the toppings:
- 1/2 kiwi peeled and sliced
- 1/2 banana peeled and sliced
- 1/2 mango peeled and sliced
- 1/4 dragon fruit peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Cut the dragon fruit in half and scoop out of skin. Place in a blender or food processor with the pineapple, blueberries, bananas and water. Mix well until pureed and smooth. Place in the freezer to chill for 10-15 minutes.
- While the smoothie puree is chilling, cut up and measure out all the toppings.
- Pour the dragon fruit smoothie into a bowl. Gently add on the toppings and enjoy!