Since last week, I've made approximately seven different pumpkin flavored meals and baked goods. It's kind of becoming a problem, but since it is merely a seasonal addiction, I will just keep feeding it. And today's pumpkin du jour is a delicious creamy pumpkin Alfredo pasta! Yes, it's as amazing as it sounds. It is everything a good autumn comfort meal should be.
My favorite part about this meal is grating the fresh Parmesan cheese. I buy the Kirkland brand from Costco and it is top notch. It is sharp and packed full of flavor and makes the Alfredo juuuussst right. And there is something about having a big block of cheese on a platter lying around the dinner table that is so romantic to me. Italians, you win at life.
Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta is comforting of the season
This pumpkin Alfredo pasta is one of those meals you will keep falling back on (see what I did there?) again and again this season, because it takes only 30 minutes to make and your family and friends will be so impressed you know how to make Alfredo sauce from scratch! And pumpkin flavored Alfredo at that! Now who is winning at life? That's right—YOU ARE.
Grab the recipe below! Buon Appetito!
Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups gemelli pasta or any type you like
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- Blend together the milk, cream cheese, flour and salt in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add in the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring continuously so it does not burn. Slowly pour in the milk mixture and whisk constantly for 4 minutes on medium-high until it begins to simmer. Once it begins to thicken, turn the heat down to medium-low and whisk for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the grated Parmesan cheese until it melts and set aside to cool. The Alfredo sauce will continue to thicken upon standing.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the minced onions in 1 tablespoon of butter in a separate saucepan until they are soft and translucent. Add the chicken broth, herbs and pumpkin, and mix together. Add in the Alfredo sauce from the large saucepan and whisk the mixture together until it is smooth and creamy.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and place in a medium serving dish. Pour the pumpkin Alfredo sauce on top of the pasta and mix thoroughly. Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and serve immediately.