Ladies and gentlemen of the internet, I have perfected the way to make an easy vegan gluten free mac and cheese recipe! And guess what? It's creamy, it's dreamy, and it's HEALTHY. Comfort food that is good for you? Sign me up and never let me leave!
Ingredients needed to make this easy vegan gluten free mac and cheese recipe
It's really not as complicated or complex as it sounds! This easy dinner recipe is full of veggies, and a great way to get your kids to eat them. Here's what you need:
- Orange bell peppers
- Gluten free macaroni noodles (I like the mix that is made with corn and quinoa)
- Potato chips (yes, this is important for the crunchy topping, and I LOVE the Cape Cod® Potato Chips because they use only three simple ingredients—oil, salt, and fresh, hand-selected potatoes!)
- Brewer's yeast (this is what gives vegan queso its "cheesy" flavor—I've tried multiple brands and this one is the best taste!)
Tips for making creamy vegan queso
Undoubtedly, the most important part of making a killer gluten free mac and cheese is getting the vegan queso juuuussst right. I've tested out many versions of this recipe, and I love this version the best! Here are some tips to make it super creamy:
- Make sure to heat your veggies properly, whether that's roasting or boiling them!
- Use a high speed blender to mix everything together. I've been using this Vitamix for over three years, and it's 100% worth the investment!
- Make sure you add in a thickening agent to give it the right consistency. That's why most vegan queso is made with cashews!
You need to add a crunchy potato chip topping to any mac and cheese recipe
But really, though, it adds that CRUNCH factor, which is one of my top five joys in life. Can't you just imagine the crispy chips in addition to the creamy cheese? Ahhhh, it's pure happiness.
I'm partnering with Cape Cod® Potato Chips for the holiday season to bring you a series of healthy comfort food recipes! I've been eating their chips for years, and was thrilled when they reached out.
Cape Cod® Potato Chips has been transforming premium ingredients into delicious kettle cooked potato chips since 1980. With roots in Hyannis, Massachusetts, they are known for their quality taste, hearty crunch and distinctly remarkable flavors.
Next recipe in the line up to pair with these yummy chips is a vegan spinach and artichoke dip! GET READY FOR DELICIOUSNESS.
Ready for the recipe? I thought so! Grab this easy vegan gluten free mac and cheese recipe below and ENJOY!
Easy Vegan Gluten Free Mac and Cheese Recipe (Made with Vegan Queso)
- Boil the gluten free macaroni noodles in a large pot until al dente. Drain and set aside in a heavy bottomed square dish.
- Boil the bell pepper, carrots, and red onion in a pot of water for 10 minutes until soft. Remove and reserve water.
- Add cooked veggies, garlic cloves, cashews, canned green chiles, and ¾ cup reserved water to high speed blender. Blend on high until smooth. Add in sea salt and brewer's yeast. Adjust to taste as needed.
- Pour the vegan queso over mac and cheese. Mix well. Top with crushed potato chips. Serve while warm and enjoy!
For other vegan-friendly, dairy-free pastas, check out these recipes: