It's mid afternoon, your energy is running low, and you simply need to indulge in something sweet. But you don't want to load up on something excessively sugary, and crash an hour later. Say hello to these vegan dark chocolate almond butter cups!
Why I love to make these vegan dark chocolate almond butter cups
They are rich and fulfilling in that they taste like a treat, but they actually give you energy. The almond butter is packed with protein and those good fuels we need to keep going throughout the day. Also, with only five simple ingredients, they are clean and contain no refined sugars or dairy. (By the way, if you're looking for a quality vegan chocolate, I use Taza Chocolate.)
A healthy dessert alternative to regular peanut butter cups
So, want to hear something mildly depressing, but might also be the greatest thing to happen to my health? I think I might have postpartum gallstones.
Every time I eat or drink dairy or eat heavy meats, I get extremely sick. I've read that it can be a common pregnancy and post-baby issue. Do I want to get my gallbladder removed? Ummm, yeahhhh, no thanks. I prefer keeping all my organs. Because I am your typical paranoid person who is convinced they will come out with a new study in 20 years stating you actually DO need your gallbladder. And I'm not trying to die of an anxiety attack in 20 years because I don't have a gallbladder. Ya feel me? (Could just be my hormones talking, too. Most likely, actually.)
Anyway, the moral of the story is I try the best I can to make "clean" desserts and meals when I can. But that still look and feel indulgent. I'm a believer that those two things aren't mutually exclusive, and I'm on a mission to prove it!
However, I have also learned my limited as a mom of three, and sometimes it's easiest to dump a can of condensed soup, meat, and frozen veggies in a tray and make chocolate chip cookies for dessert. It's all about the balance and listening to what your body needs.
Now, go grab the recipe to these vegan dark chocolate almond butter cups. And be sure to tag me on Instagram if you make them! Enjoy!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
- 8 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Line a mini muffin tin with baking cups.
- Melt 4 ounces of chocolate in a double broiler. If you don't have a double boiler, you can break the chocolate into pieces, place in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat it 20 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals until it's melted. (Be careful not to overcook it!)
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of melted chocolate into each cup. Use a spoon to slightly mold the chocolate up the sides of the cups. Chill in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, until mostly solid.
- Mix together almond butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Add a teaspoon size ball to the center of each chocolate mold. Tamp down gently with your finger, making sure to leave a ring around the edge.
- Melt the remaining 4 ounces of chocolate. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of chocolate onto each cup until fully covered. Chill in refrigerator 20-25 minutes until set.