You have not had the best pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe until now! And there is even a way to make them gluten free, now that I have celiac and have converted all my recipes!
I am aware I just posted a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip harvest bread last week, but I had to sneak in this pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe, too! I only have two more weeks until Halloween, so I am completely taking advantage. You are thinking it's the same thing just lumped into balls instead of a loaf, but it is NOT the same! I've been testing out different ingredients and I have finally found the magic combination. There is one particular secret ingredient to these devilishly fluffy cookies. You want to know what it is? Okay, fine, I guess I will spill the chips...
The key to making the best pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe (gluten free)
Sour cream! Newsflash! Sour cream is always the secret ingredient to making something fantastically delicious. That, or buttermilk. It's all about the acidity, and your baked goods will thank you for taking them from basic to incredible. (This ain't no PSL, guys.)
People will be oohing and ahhing and demanding to know, "What's in this?!" (I feel like there is an underlying philosophical message here, but I'm not going to expound on the subject because we have pumpkin chocolate chip cookies to make. Just look for it in my book, Food Psychology: What Your Food Says About You.)
Ingredients for this pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe
- Pumpkin puree
- Granulated sugar
- Butter, softened
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Flour (I use this King Arthur flour gluten-free all purpose blend)
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
Health benefits of cinnamon and fall spices
- Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and contains anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Nutmeg is loaded with minerals and may support pain relief, enhance cognitive function, and support indigestion.
- Cloves are rich in antimicrobial properties, meaning they can support immune system health! Totally need during this cold and flu season!
Ready for a good pumpkin pun?
Hey guys, what's a pumpkin's favorite movie? Pulp Fiction! Ha.
Anyway, you should save this pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe to your fall baking Pinterest board. Also, I apologize in advance if you get a little plumpkin from eating these, because it is impossible to eat just one. (We can be running partners if you want.) Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (Gluten Free)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour I use King Arthur flour cup for cup gluten-free blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the pumpkin, sugar, butter, sour cream, egg and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute. Add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt to one cup of flour. Add it into the wet mixture, thoroughly mix, then add in the remaining cup of flour. Pour in the chocolate chips until everything is well mixed.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop a small mound of dough (about the size of a golf ball) on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes on 375°F. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm.