You know those days where everything feels like it’s buzzing with possibility, and you are blissfully happy? Invincible even? This mood-boosting green smoothie AKA The Happy Smoothie is step one to having an amazing day.
Ingredients for this mood boosting green smoothie, or as I call it, The Happy Smoothie
The old adage, “you are what you eat” is true. Which is why we eat (or drink) foods that boost our moods! Here is a list of the main ingredients in this smoothie, and why they are so important for our body:
- Almond milk (or flax milk for any nut allergies) – easy to digest and a healthy fat needed for optimal cell health
- Protein powder (optional) – I use plant-based protein to help keep my body full, which also helps eliminate sugar cravings and promotes muscle health
- Collagen peptides – good for gut health and the building blocks of our body
- Chia seeds – soluble fiber source to promote healthy digestion and elimination, also a good source of plant protein
- Ground flax seeds -insoluble fiber source for gut health, by helping the body move food through the digestive system
- Hemp seeds – another great source of fiber and plant protein
- Spirulina powder – good source of plant protein and full of antioxidants, minerals, and iodine, for thyroid health
- Ashwagandha powder – the super herb that supports adrenal health, thyroid health, and promotes feelings of clarity and energy
- St. John’s wort – calms the nervous system, and is a well-known herb to support depression and anxiety, taken either as a tincture or powder
- Leafy greens – full of essential vitamins and minerals our body needs for optimal health, in all body systems
- Ripe banana – my favorite way to get potassium! (I never get leg cramps anymore!)
- Ice – ice, ice baby (dun dun dun dundundundun)
Let’s talk about the health benefits of spirulina
Spriulina is an edible form of blue-green algae. Another close relative of this is chlorophyll, but they are not the same. And in my opinion, spirulina is the way to go.
Spirulina has been shown in studies to exhibit anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and anticancer properties.
It’s a good source of plant protein, containing 4 grams of protein per tablespoon.
It also contains iodine, which is a trace element that the body needs, especially for thyroid hormone production. Note, that too much iodine in the diet may cause issues with overactive and underactive thyroid conditions, so it’s important to not take too much, since we generally get iodine from our foods in the US.
However, spirulina has been a wonderful addition to my mood-boosting green smoothie, and I honestly feel like my mind is much more clear and focused on the days I drink it, which is about three times per week.
Where to buy spirulina powder
Not all spirulina powder is created equal.
In fact, third party studies done on many of the brands offered on Amazon found traces of toxic strains of algae who source their spirulina from China. These contaminated strains contain, BMAA, which is a neurotoxin and has shown in studies to increase neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s.
Don’t buy those!
I’ve researched over eight brands, and I only take this one. It’s made in Hawaii, and the company was founded by a world renowned cyanobacteria and algae expert who knows what’s up!
Let’s talk about the health benefits of ashwagandha
If you follow along on my Instagram stories, you will already know of my love for ashwagandha and how I use it as a key ingredient in this mood-boosting green smoothie. This is an ancient herb used in Ayurvedic medicine, and for good reason!
- It has been shown in studies to reduce blood sugar levels through its effects on insulin secretion and sensitivity.
- Ashwagandha has been shown to decrease stress and anxiety in animal and human studies.
- Animal and test-tube studies have shown that ashwagandha promotes the death of tumor cells and may be effective against several types of cancer.
- Ashwagandha supplements may help lower cortisol levels in chronically stressed individuals. This is incredibly important for optimal wellness, because chronic stress can lead to illness.
- The limited research available suggests that ashwagandha may help reduce depression, hence the number one choice for The Happy Smoothie!
- Ashwagandha has been shown to increase natural killer cell activity and decrease markers of inflammation, which is a huge focus of my gut and thyroid healing.
- It may improve brain function, memory, reaction times and the ability to perform tasks.
It’s important to note that you may need to take this supplement for 3-4 weeks to experience the full effects of this amazing herb.
I use the Himalaya brand because of their purity standards. You can buy it here.
Obviously, this is mood-boosting green smoothie has amazing health benefits, and I hope you incorporate it into your morning routine as often as you can!
Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
Mood-Boosting Green Smoothie (The Happy Smoothie)
This mood-boosting green smoothie AKA The Happy Smoothie supports feelings of happiness and bliss! The perfect way to start off your day and a smoothie for depression and anxiety.
Pour liquid and powder ingredients in first. Add in greens, banana, and ice.
Blend on high for 1 minute until smooth. Enjoy!