There are some things that you should ALWAYS make from scratch. And at the tippy top of that list is Instant Pot applesauce, made with no sugar. And it's naturally gluten free! Using the Instant Pot is the quickest and easiest way to make applesauce. Promise you will never do it any other way!
How to make Instant Pot Applesauce (no sugar, gluten free)
- First and foremost, you need a pressure cooker. I recommend this Instant Pot model. Don't know much about how to use an Instant Pot? I've got your back! Click here to get my Instant Pot course, which walks you through all the beginner steps you need to start using your Instant pot confidently!
- Get good apples. I recommend getting a mixture of Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Gala, and Jona Gold. Gives you a good flavor variety of sweet and tart. Or, depending on how sweet you like it, just stick with the sweeter varieties like Jona Gold, Gala, or Honeycrisp. More on this below!
- Make sure you have water, fresh lemon, spices, and honey on hand.
What are the best apples for applesauce?
We could devote an entire post to selecting different apple varieties based on their flavors. But I'm going to break it down for you.
If you want it sweet and want to make applesauce with no sugar, try these:
- Golden Delicious
If you like tart applesauce, use any of these apples for applesauce:
- Granny Smith
Tips for making your Instant Pot applesauce smooth
To mix applesauce, you simply use a masher. This gives it that delightful texture with a few yummy lumps! However, if you have major texture issues and need is SMOOTH, simply use an immersion blender! I recommend this one.
Health benefits of applesauce
- Apples are a fantastic source of fiber and Vitamin C. Meaning you want to eat applesauce for good gut health and immune health!
- Apples support heart health in various ways. They're high in soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol. They also contain polyphenols, which are linked to lower blood pressure and stroke risk.
- Apples contain pectin, a kind of fiber that works as a prebiotic. This means it feeds the good bacteria in your gut. Your small intestine doesn't absorb fiber during digestion. Instead, it goes to the colon, where it can promote the growth of good bacteria. It also turns into other helpful compounds that circulate back throughout your body. You KNOW how passionate I am about gut health being the key to overall health. An apple a day really does keep the doctor away.
- I use cloves and cinnamon in this Instant Pot applesauce recipe, which are fantastic antimicrobial herbs that keep your body healthy and strong to fend off any junk.
- Speaking of gut health, I recommend taking a daily digestive enzyme along with eating your apples! I 100% recommend this one. You take it 10-15 minutes before your meal and it helps your body break down all your food and absorb the nutrients. YES, PLEASE. Click here to purchase the digestive enzymes and make sure to sign up for the wholesale price!
Ready to make the yummiest and easiest Instant Pot applesauce of your life? Grab the recipe below and ENJOY!
How to Make Instant Pot Applesauce (No Sugar, Gluten Free)
- Place peeled and quartered apples in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Pour in water, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Close lid, seal the valve, and cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Let it natural release for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and use masher to puree apples. Mash until smooth and most of the lumps are gone.
- Serve while warm, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.