I worked at a Thai restaurant when I was younger, and the very first thing I learned to make were fresh spring rolls with shrimp. It's actually really the only thing I ever learned to make since it was my quick default meal during breaks. That might be lame and boring considering the amazing options a Thai restaurant has to offer, but don't fret—I sampled all of the dishes numerous times. I suppose I am just simple, and I love how fresh and crisp spring rolls are—hence the name!
Fresh spring rolls with shrimp are healthy and low-calorie
They are incredibly easy to make and I think they are filling considering they only have about 75-80 calories in each of them, depending on your ingredients. Trust me, when it's hot outside, these fresh spring rolls are one of the few things you want to eat. And once you make them once, they will become a staple!
Also, I can't help but sing, "they see me rollin'..." every time I make these. Guess I'm on my way to becoming a professional wrapper 😉
I love serving fresh spring rolls as a colorful appetizer (all those leafy greens are gorgeous!), or eating them for a light lunch. Grab the recipe and instructions below, and enjoy!
Fresh Spring Rolls With Shrimp
- 4 round rice paper wrappers
- 6 large cooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale or green leaf lettuce
- 1 small bunch basil green and purple
- 1 small radish sliced
- ¼ cup cucumbers julienned
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- Fill a large bowl with warm water, about 1 inch deep. Put together 2 rice paper wrappers and gently immerse them in water. Lay them flat on a clean surface.
- Place 2-3 leaves of lacinato kale or lettuce on the top ⅓ edge of the rice paper wrappers. Pile on 5-6 basil leaves, cucumbers, radishes, and 3 large shrimp on top of the kale. Make sure to keep about 1-2 inches of space on each side so they can be folded in.
- Gently pull the edge of the wrapper and tuck it over the filling, rolling away from you. Next, fold in the sides so the filling is enclosed and they are "closed end" rolls. Continue to roll the wrapper away from you, pulling and tucking tightly until it is completely rolled. Repeat steps 1-3 for the second roll.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce or peanut sauce and enjoy!