It’s always a happy day when I discover a new treat recipe that tastes incredible, but doesn’t have any processed junk in it. Say hello to these no bake almond butter and chocolate energy bites!
They are vegan and contain no refined sugars, dairy, or gluten! BUT you wouldn’t know it unless I announced such unbelievable nutrition facts with one of those signs people make for their arriving airport guests. (I can see it now; me standing there, wildly waving a white poster board, boldly claiming, “RSF, VEGAN, GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE!” Perhaps a protest sign at a Twinkies plant would be a better comparison, yeah?)
Do you know the magical, secret ingredient in these chocolate energy bites?
I’ll give you one guess. It starts with “d” and rhymes with gates.
Did you get it? DATES! They are nature’s candy for good reason. If you’re on a refined-sugar free diet right now, these will be your best friend.
You can simply leave these energy bites plain, but sometimes I like to gussy the little buggers up by adding some crushed coconut on the top. All you do is melt some of the leftover chocolate, dip the ball in the chocolate, and make a final dip in the coconut. I actually brought these to a party two nights ago and they were a hit, since they are perfectly bite-sized.
These no bake almond butter and chocolate energy bites are so good you could date them. (I just can’t get away from the 4th grade humor.) Make them for a healthy dessert, breakfast, or snack before a workout.
Recipe is below. Enjoy!
No Bake Almond Butter and Chocolate Energy Bites
- 1 cup dates pitted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips for melting
- 1/2 cup crushed coconut flakes
- In a food processor, blend the dates and coconut oil together until smooth. Add in almond butter, dark chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix until smooth and the mixture resembles dough.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on a cookie sheet or plate covered with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler. Dip the top half of the energy bite into the melted chocolate, then dip into the crushed coconut. Allow to set for 10 minutes, then chill in refrigerator in a sealed container. Energy bites keep up to one week (although they will probably be gone before then). Enjoy!