My very first memories in the kitchen involve my mom's chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Specifically my mom and I making cookies.
I'd pull my little chair up to the counter and stare at all of the ingredients in awe of what would form together to make the world's best chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. There was the stainless steel mixing bowl, the white sifter with the squeaky hinges and the mixing spoon. (KitchenAid who? Yes, my mom would stir and mix the cookie dough by hand because she is a baking warrior.) My favorite part was eating the sugar and shortening mixture—I liked it's gritty, filmy taste. It was like the essence of the cookies. (I was also one of those weird children who would sneak spoonfuls of plain butter, so I clearly just have issues with loving fatty foods. Watch out, Paula Dean!)
What makes mom's chocolate chip oatmeal cookies so special?
My mom still has that bowl and spoon. There will probably be a war between us siblings over who inherits them when she passes away. (Give it to me, mom! I love it the most since I am writing a tribute to it on the freaking internet.) The sifter went to kitchen heaven, but I will forever remember it. Also, still to this day I will eat a dollop of that sugar and shortening mixture for nostalgia's sake.
On a totally random and entirely unrelated note...
Do you know why basketball players love cookies? Because they can dunk them! Ha! You knew that was coming, didn't you?
Back to the cookies.
Make them. Bake them. Start the tradition in your family. These chocolate chip oatmeal cookies have something magical about them, along with being insanely delicious and striking the perfect balance of gooey and firm. It's the magic in them, I promise.
Mom’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, mix together the sugars and shortening until well blended. Next, mix in the eggs, vanilla and water. Put the flour, baking soda and salt in a sifter. Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix together completely. Last, add in the chocolate chips and then the oatmeal.
- Drop by large spoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes, just until the edges are slightly golden.
- Enjoy these gooey chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with a big glass of milk!