Sometimes I get fancy ideas that whirl around in my brain. This heart-shaped mixed berry pie is one of them come to life. I suppose you could call it life of pie—Valentine’s Day edition. The sweet little hearts atop a blend of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, baked together with a flaky pie crust. This heart-shaped mixed berry pie is pure magic. And the perfect treat to bake for someone you love.
A Secret For Getting Flaky Heart-Shaped Mixed Berry Pie Crust
Pie can be tricky, but at the same time it is so very basic—not that kind of basic, though. I mean basic in its pre-Millenial meaning: simple, straightforward, quintessential. There are only a few ingredients for this dessert, which turn out to be incredibly delightful to the tastebuds. However, this handful of ingredients must be treated gently. The key to great, flaky crust is not overhandling it. Although, the hearts on this particular pie have to be rolled out and stamped with cookie cutters two to three times. Fortunately, it works out and this lovely pastry tastes wonderful.
Hey, you want to hear a good joke? We’re due for a corny one…
What’s the worst thing about getting hit in the face with pi?
It never ends!
Ha! That’s funny. Which leads me to the brilliant idea of making this pie for someone you’re sweet on and giving it to them with the message, “Just like pi(e), my love for you never ends!” How’s that for an adorable Valentine’s Day idea? I think it’s something Amy should make for Sheldon. (Chuck Lorre, if you’re reading this, you have my permission to use my line/idea.)
Did I mention how delicious this pie is? It’s has the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and is surprisingly light. A good dessert option for all of us wanting to have a cheat day we don’t feel too guilty about. 😉 So what do you say? Pie one on and get buzzed on love! Grab the recipe below, and enjoy!
Heart-Shaped Mixed Berry Pie
For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter 1 stick, refrigerated
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the berry filling:
- 2 1/2 cups berries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pour the flour into a medium mixing bowl and cut the butter into pea-sized cubes. Use a pastry cutter or fork to mix together the flour and butter until it is a crumbly texture. Pour in the water one tablespoon at a time and mix gently with hands until the dough comes together, but be careful to not overmix it. It should be soft and crumbly.
- Separate dough in half. Form it into two balls. Roll out one ball on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to about 1/4" thick and about 10" in diameter. Fit the dough in the pie pan and place it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Then add in the berries. Let it stand for about 5-10 minutes. While the berries are sitting, roll out the other ball of dough. Cut out 10 large hearts and 10 small hearts with cookie cutters.
- Pull out the pie tin from the refrigerator and pour in the berry filling. Top the berries with the hearts. Arrange the 10 large hearts on the outer circle, the 10 small ones in the inner circle, and one large heart in the middle topped with a small heart. Wrap the edges with foil and bake on 425°F for 35 minutes until lightly browned. Enjoy!
Check out this homemade fresh strawberry pie recipe too!