What are essential oils and why you need them
Essential oils are naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. They can be both beautifully and powerfully fragrant. Essential oils give plants their distinctive smells. They also protect plants and play a role in plant pollination. In addition to their intrinsic benefits to plants and their beautiful fragrance, essential oils have long been used for food preparation, beauty treatment, and health-care practices.
Using essential oils is an integral part of my herbal medicine and holistic living protocols. (Ahem, my kids can now sleep soundly without hacking up a lung during cold and flu season.) I have been able to support many ailments with these beautiful plants!
The essential oils I use and why
I have been using essential oils for over 10 years. From my days as a teenager making my own beauty products, to now, I love the healing and beauty these plants bring to my life.
There are dozens of essential oil brands from which you can choose, and sometimes it can be intimidating in understanding which ones to purchase and WHY. The biggest thing to consider when purchasing oils is:
Given these factors to consider, I purchase my essential oils from doTERRA because of their purity, focus on sustainable farming, and co-impact sourcing. This is an initiative that seeks to develop ethical long-term, mutually beneficial supplier partnerships. All while creating sustainable jobs and providing reliable income in underdeveloped areas.
As an herbalist, I believe we should use the whole plant herb first, and turn to essential oils when it’s their best use of the herb. In many cases, essential oils are the best option for your family based on your skill set, knowledge, and accessibility. I get it, plant medicine can be overwhelming. But, I’m here to teach you how to use it to simplify your health and wellness!
Respecting the plants
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that we need to respect the medicinal properties and powers of plants. In terms of using essential oils, I never recommend taking them internally. (Unless there is a very specific case where it is most beneficial and it is used short term).
Yes, you will see a lot of information out there, including in the doTERRA community, to casually use them internally. I do not think this is safe, because essential oils are highly concentrated doses of the herbs and plants. Also, the actions that herbs take in our bodies are best suited to using the whole plant herb, and don’t respond the same physiologically when using essential oils.
Oils are best used topically when properly diluted, and aromatically when diffused.
Where to buy high-quality essential oils
You can buy essential oils from a number of respected sources and herbal stores. However, I recommend purchasing from doTERRA and registering for a wholesale account.
- Registering for a wholesale account ($35) works much like a Costco membership and will give you wholesale pricing (25% below retail) for the entire year! Yes, please. You are not required to purchase monthly, sell oils or fill any quotas. It’s simply a customer account.
- This is a journey that you will never have to do alone. I am part of an amazing online community with members all over the world who will help support you along this wellness path.
- After you’ve enrolled and joined our members group, you will be in the know about educational resources, sales, and tips.
To get your wholesale membership, follow these steps:
- Click HERE to fill in your info at doTERRA.
- Enter your contact info and create a password.
- Select either “Wholesale Customer” or “Wellness Advocate.” The only difference is the ability to earn commission with the Wellness Advocate option. Check the “Terms & Agreements” box and click “Continue.”
- On the next screen with the top scrolling feature, choose the Introductory Enrollment Kit ($35) in your language.
- Choose a shipping option and then click “View Totals.”
- Enter your payment info—double check that your billing zip code matches what your debit or credit card has on file.
You’re on your way to getting those incredible deals, but now what?
Which essential oils should you get?
- I recommend getting the Home Essentials Kit. It comes with 10 oils:
- Melaleuca (Tea tree oil)
- Breathe (a proprietary blend to support respiratory wellness)
- DigestZen (a proprietary blend to support gut health and one of my personal favorites!)
- OnGuard (a proprietary blend to support immune function)
- Deep Blue (a proprietary blend to support muscle tension)
- 1 diffuser
- These essential oils support health goals, such as:
- Boosting immunity
- Supporting stress and overwhelm
- Helping cold and flu ailments
- And so many more options!
- Make non-toxic bath, beauty, and home cleaning products using these powerful plant oils. I like to use them in my skin serums, hand sanitizer, toilet bowl cleaner, and more!
Have specific questions about using herbs and essential oils to support your wellness goals?
I am here to help you! Click here to schedule a 30-minute wellness consultation with me, where we can discuss your wellness goals and work together to empower you and provide you the tools to be your own advocate for your health. That includes:
- One-on-one 30-minute video chat or call to discuss wellness setbacks and goals
- Custom nutritional meal plan
- Custom herbal protocol based on health goals
- Lifestyle recommendations based on the five pillars of health, customized to your needs
- Email access to me
If you enroll for a doTERRA wholesale account, I will reimburse your wellness consultation fee as an added bonus, and send you some free wellness goodies, too! Hooray for snail mail and surprise packages! Click here to make your appointment now.
You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific questions. I’m excited to help you live your healthiest and happiest life!