You know what happens when you watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding on an empty stomach? Hunger pains. Of mythological proportions. It ignites a hankering for pita bread, tzatziki sauce and all of those delicious veggies. Since I didn’t have pita bread or tzatziki readily on hand (and didn’t feel like making it from scratch), I did, however, have the fixings for a heavenly Mediterranean quinoa salad with chicken and Instant Pot quinoa. The result is almost as epic as The Iliad. Almost.
How to Make a Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Chicken and Instant Pot Quinoa
First off, isn’t she a glorious sight to behold? A beacon of good health and wellness!
All you need are a few fresh veggies, quinoa, and chicken to whip it together.
This Mediterranean quinoa salad is a great go-to lunch, or even dinner. I was pleasantly shocked out how sustaining it is. Usually when I eat healthy salads I am hungry an hour after (or immediately), but this kept me full for four hours. I am not exaggerating for theatrical merit, either. If you want a filling salad, THIS IS IT.
How to Make Instant Pot Quinoa
You will never make quinoa any other way! It very literally takes you ten minutes. Following these steps:
- Rinse 1 cup quinoa.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and quinoa to the Instant Pot. Lock lid, seal and cook on manual high pressure for 1 minute. Let it natural release for 10 minutes.
- Flip to “venting” and open the lid. Fluff with a fork.
Now you have your quinoa ready to go!
(FYI, I have this 6-quart Instant Pot Duo and I love it. It’s sold out, but if I could buy one again, I’d go the 8-quart, which is in stock!)
As for the veggies, I do suggest that if you are not a fan of red onion, go light or omit them altogether. DO replace them with extra cucumbers and red pepper for that extra crunch, though. (It’s all about that crisp, fresh vegetable crunch, people.) And do not go light on the Feta cheese. The quarter cup I list in the recipe is merely a ballpark figure—feel free to step it up to half cup.
You feta believe me when I say you will love this Mediterranean quinoa salad with chicken and Instant Pot quinoa. Go forth and conquer, my friends. Recipe is below. Enjoy!
P.S. Want to learn how to more confidently and efficiently use your Instant Pot? Of course you do! Click here to sign up for my Instant Pot Palooza course, where I’ll teach you the skillset to make just about anything in your pressure cooker.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Chicken (Instant Pot Quinoa)
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup black olives diced
- 1/4 cup cucumber julienned
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For Instant Pot quinoa: rinse quinoa, and add water and quinoa to bowl. Lock lid, seal, and cook on manual high pressure for 1 minute. Let it natural release for 10 minutes. Flip valve to "venting" and open lid. Fluff with fork.
- While the quinoa cooks in the Instant Pot, season the chicken breast with salt on both sides. Pour some olive oil in a pan, and allow the chicken breast to cook for about 10 minutes, until the juices run clear and the inner temperature reaches 165°F. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Cut and dice the red pepper, black olives, cucumber, red onion, and parsley. By this point the quinoa should be cooked and ready.
- Combine the quinoa, chicken, and vegetables in a bowl. Top with Feta cheese, fresh parsley, Greek seasoning (if you don't have any on hand, mix 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, dried basil, thyme, and rosemary with a 1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg) and olive oil. Mix together and enjoy!
To further decrease cooking time, use precooked rotisserie chicken in your salad. For vegan or vegetarian option, omit chicken and substitute with roasted chickpeas.