The fall air is finally crisp and chilly, which means I'm making soup! Hearty and healthy taco soup, to be exact.
This Hearty and Healthy Taco Soup is Perfect for a Chilly Day
Imagine yourself cozying up with a big bowl of this soup. Maybe some cornbread on the side. Definitely tortilla chips mixed in there!
I thought taco soup appropriate since it is National Taco Day. This is my go-to recipe, and it was one of the first things I learned how to make when I was a newlywed. (Ages and ages ago.) Kids love it, husbands love it, and the ingredients are simple—you just dump everything in one large pot. Ready for it?
I make this taco soup with ground turkey. It's more nutritious and healthy, but still hearty and full of flavor. I suggest using organic ground turkey. This is locally grown, antibiotic-free, and also raised on free-range organic land.
Now, let's go make some soup! Grab this souper duper recipe for this healthy taco soup below. Enjoy!
Hearty and Healthy Taco Soup
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb package ground turkey
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ¾ cup water
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can mild diced green chiles
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 package dry ranch dressing
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions diced
- In a large skillet, cook the onions in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Add in the ground turkey, and cook until barely browned, about 5 minutes. Pour in the taco seasoning and water, and mix well.
- Pour the canned corn, beans, tomatoes, chiles, and chicken stock into a large pot. Add in the cooked ground turkey and dry ranch dressing. Stir well and cover. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes until warm.
- Serve while warm. Top with sour cream and shredded cheese, and garnish with green onions. Serve with warm corn bread or tortilla chips. Enjoy!