Butternut Squash Soup with Apple (Vegan)
This creamy vegan butternut squash soup with apple is perfect for a delicious light meal or an appetizer. Made with whole and seasonal ingredients.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 cups butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 3 apples peeled and cubed
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Add the avocado oil, butternut squash, apples, red onion, garlic and salt and pepper to a large pot. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until the onions become fragrant and tender, about 10 minutes.
Add in the broth, and cover. Let it simmer for 30 minutes until the butternut squash and apples are soft.
Once cooked, puree everything with an immersion blender. Alternately, transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. (You may need to do it in two batches so the blender isn't overflowing.)
Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir in the almond milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Serve immediately while warm, and feel free to garnish with some fresh parsley and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
- Meal prep ahead of time and pre-cut and slice the butternut squash, apples, and onion.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients. If you don't have an immersion blender, let the soup ingredients cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a high powered blender. Blend for 1 minute until it's fully smooth.
- If you prefer chunkier soup, omit blending completely.
- This recipe works well with chicken broth and regular heavy cream if you prefer or only have dairy or animal-based products on hand.
- This soup keeps up to 1 week. Reheat in a pot on the stovetop or microwave safe glass bowl.
Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1476mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 5930IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1mg